First developed in the 1820’s, just outside HCSV entrance on Route 9, the gazebo which stood here in the 1920’s, was the inspiration for the one on the site today.

A visitor in 1848 described the scene as follows: “Cold Spring…does actually rise, a copious pure and deliciously cool stream, from the midst of a solid marsh, some four or five hundred yards in diameter, communication with ocean…an octagonally shaped house has been erected for the accommodation of visitors, in the lower room of which, liquor is sold to spoil the sweet water of the spring, when a perverted taste requires it.”