New Jersey's FIRST non-profit brewery! The building is an 1804 three-bay English-style Cape May County barn from Upper Township. Built by Stillwell and Elizabeth Corson. It was purchased, relocated, and restored in 2014. Cold Spring Brewery's purpose is to stabilize the Historic Cold Spring Village museum for future generations to enjoy. It is located at 733 Seashore Road, Cold Spring, Cape May.
J. Finley Blacksmith Shop was built around 1886 with timbers recycled from an earlier structure (most likely a barn) along with standard dimensional lumber, this wood-frame structure represents a light-industrial building type that was once common in New Jersey, but of which few have survived. Its one-story height, double front doors, and unfinished interior are typical of blacksmith shops built in 1800s Cape May County.
Built: c. 1880. Original Building Name: Lewis Corson Gandy Barn. Original Location: Dennis Township.
The Barn currently sits adjacent to the Village’s 8-acre farm complex, housing farming supplies, and equipment as well as the Village Horse, Levi, and calves.
Built: 1900. Original Building Name: George Douglass Carriage House. Original Location: Washington Street in Cape May.
The Village woodworker demonstrates a velociped wood cutting machine, shingle making, carving and more! The building also shelters a carriage, which is used to take visitors on horse and wagon rides with Levi, the Village horse.
Ezra-Norton House. Original Location: Dias Creek, Middle Township, NJ. The bakery is open when the Village is open for the season. Smell the aromas and taste the treats of a bygone era at the Village Bakery, cool off with a refreshing beverage, and enjoy casual lunch items.
Built: 1837. Original Building Name: Corson-Hand House. Original Location: Tuckahoe.
This 2-story house with a lean-to attached to the side is typical of the smaller residences built in Cape May County from the early 1700s through the mid-1800s. Its asymmetrical facade fenestration – with a center door located between two windows on the first floor and only two windows in the second floor – was commonly used in Cape May County, but infrequently anywhere else in the state. It was built on a one-acre lot in Tuckahoe by ship carpenter Aaron Corson, who sold it to Philip Hand, a shoemaker, in 1839.
Spicer Leaming House Built: c. 1820. Original Location: Lower Township, on land now occupied by the Cape May Canal.
Visit with a 19th-century housewife, demonstrating the domestic arts a woman in a rural community would have been responsible for.
This double house served one family and has both a parlor and kitchen on the first floor. Notable interior elements consist of hand-planed interior wall boarding, raised paneling, and flared corner posts.
Cold Spring Grange Cold Spring Grange Restaurant Built: 1912. Original Building Name: Cold Spring Grange #132. Located on its original site. This two-story building was built in 1912 to serve as the meeting hall for the Cold Spring Grange #132, which functioned as a political/civic, business, educational, and social organization for the farmers and residents of Cold Spring and its surrounding rural area until about 1970. Listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places, the Grange Hall is the only building in Historic Cold Spring Village that stands on its original site.
Built: 1722/1780. Original Building Name: Hathorn House. Original Location: Tuckahoe Road, Upper Township. The Country Store offers visitors a unique assortment of hand-crafted artisan wares and heritage goods- from hand-wrought ironware and handspun wool to craft kits, jams, candy, books, and more. The Country Store is open during the summer season with special fall and winter hours. To contact the Country Store directly, please call (609) 898-2300, ext. 16 or e-mail email@example.com. All proceeds from the Village Country Store directly support the mission of Historic Cold Spring Village, a non-profit living history museum.
Coxe Hall Cottage is the oldest known surviving building in Cape May County and currently shows aspects of domestic life in a small, rural dwelling.
The most recent addition to the Village, Coxe Hall Cottage was built around 1691 and was probably—as local lore claims—part of Coxe Hall, a manor erected by West Jersey proprietor Dr. Daniel Coxe where land rents were paid, church services were conducted, and court was held. The carved corner post heads are the most ornate in the state and only two other similar examples are found in early New England dwellings. Physical evidence, revealed when the building was restored in 2006, confirms that the Cottage was originally part of a larger structure.
The Marshallville School, a small, one-room schoolhouse was probably erected around 1850 and is typical of the schools built in the first half of the 19th century throughout America, having little architectural establishment and a simple floor plan. It originally served the children in Marshallville, a small town formed around a glass window factory that operated there from 1814 to the late 1800s. Its gable-fronted form reflects the Greek Revival style, and restoration work on the structure was performed by a local carpenter who used 19th-century tools and techniques.
Built: 1894. Original Building Name: Junior Order United American Mechanics Hall. Original Location: Cold Spring.
Begin your Village Visit at the air-conditioned Welcome Center, where you will find an introductory exhibit on Cape May County History, and a brief orientation video about the Village. There is also a touch screen computer station offering a virtual reality tour of the historic buildings. The Village administrative office is located on the second floor.
The Dennisville Inn, a Federal style building, was constructed in 1836 for use as a tavern and inn, and served as a center for town meetings, social gatherings and a resting place for stagecoach travelers from Philadelphia to Cape May. The building was used as a tavern until 1870 when its owner became a Baptist; it was then used for church gatherings and meetings. The use of two front doors-one opening into the center hall and the other into the bar room was typically seen in other inns from the same time period in southern New Jersey.