Built: 1836. Original Location: Main Street, Dennisville.
This Federal style building was constructed in 1836 for use as a tavern and inn by Thomas Henderson from Cumberland County. Originally located in Dennisville (Dennis Township), it replaced an earlier inn on the same site, which burned shortly after Henderson purchased the property in 1835. The building served as a center for town meetings, social gatherings and a resting place for stagecoach travelers from Philadelphia to Cape May. The building was used as a tavern until 1870 when its owner became a Baptist; it was then used for church gatherings and meetings. The use of two front doors-one opening into the center hall and the other into the bar room was typically seen in other inns from the same time period in southern New Jersey.