Built: c. 1886. Original Building Name: J. Finley Blacksmith Shop. Original Location:Goshen-Swainton Road, Middle Township.
Built around 1886 with timbers recycled from an earlier structure (most likely a barn) along with standard dimensional lumber, this wood frame structure represents a light-industrial building type which was once common in New Jersey, but of which few have survived. Its one-story height, double front doors, and unfinished interior are typical of blacksmith shops built in 1800s Cape May County. With the advent of the automobile and advances in technology in the early 20th century, the services of a blacksmith (e.g. horseshoeing, wagon wheel repair) were no longer needed and the buildings in which they practiced their trade have nearly disappeared from the architectural landscape.